Pioneers West Historical Society ©2014, All rights Reserved.
The exact date of the construction of the log house is uncertain. One of the stones of a fireplace has the date "1762" carved into it which is thought to be the beginning date of the house's construction. This also could have been from the Gabriel Walker log cabin on Robinson Run, near Hays, and which was burned by Indians in September, 1782.
The Ewing side of the family (beginning with Alexander Ewing, 1740-
One has to remember that at this time, the area was hostile Indian country. In 1782, Indians attacked Gabriel Walker's log cabin, captured two of the five Walker children, burned the house to the ground and attacked Ewing's Fort. The Indians killed the two youngest sons and took Gabriel Walker's two daughters and another son as prisoners and crossed the Ohio River into Indian Territory at Logstown. The three children were ultimately taken to an English camp in Canada and were returned 21 months later to Philadelphia, possibly as returned prisoners of the U.S. Revolutionary War.
On December 13, 1817, the land was patented (an exclusive land grant made by a sovereign
entity with respect to a particular tract of land) to William Ewing (1784-
Samuel William Ewing (1818-
In 1898, Kate Neely sold the land, and presumably the log house, to William Parker
Ewing. In 1930, Madjesia May Ewing Rovensky (1884-
In October, 1973, Mr. & Mrs. Grace then gifted the property on which is situated the log house, its furniture and land to the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation (PHLF)which used them as rental property for the next 25 years. In April, 1975, Mr.& Mrs. Grace gifted a contiguous piece of property to the PHLF.
On August 5, 1998, Mr. and Mrs. Grace purchased back the property (both parcels) from the PHLF and then, on October 14, 1998, the Graces gifted the property to the Pioneers West Historical Society which then started the restoration and renovation of the log house.
History of Log House
|Archive - John C. McMichael Collection|